Food and health have long been linked together. The food we eat is the main source of nutrition of our body. What we eat affects our overall well-being and lack of proper nutrition can greatly impact our health. Nowadays, some medical procedures or treatment such as scoliosis treatment rely also on food to achieve good results. For scoliosis treatment, nutrition is a very important component and patients with scoliosis are advised to follow a set of specific diet rules since poor nutrition can trigger the progression of scoliosis.
Scoliosis is a condition where the curvature of the spine is abnormal – the spine is bent to one side, either to the left or to the right. This abnormal condition of the spine can result to pains in the back, hips, shoulders and legs. Scoliosis may also cause serious complications such as lung and heart damage, chronic back pains and change in physical appearances such as uneven hips and shoulders.
For scoliosis, treatment is the involvement of physiotherapy treatments and nutritional diet.
What food to eat to prepare for a scoliosis treatment?
Removal of inflammation-causing and oily junk food from the diet of scoliosis patients is very important. A lot of experts have suggested the following to be incorporated in your diet if you have scoliosis:
Calcium intake between 1200 -1500mg daily is recommended. Calcium can give strength to the bones and it is possible that people with scoliosis have a calcium deficiency. Just make sure that your calcium food source does not contain too much-saturated fat. Skim cheese and yoghurt are good sources of calcium with low saturated fats.
- Vitamin D
It is recommended to have a diet high in Vitamin D if you have scoliosis. Vitamin D helps our body absorb calcium and helps in increasing bone density. Sources of Vitamin D are milk, saltwater fish, eggs, and cod liver.
- Vitamin E
People with scoliosis should also take Vitamin E – another bone-building vitamin. This vitamin can support in developing muscle strength which is good for people who have scoliosis. Vitamin E can be obtained from liver, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, mayonnaise, hazelnuts and olive oil.
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetables
Fresh fruit and vegetables are naturally high in fibre which is good for your gut health and can detoxify your body and is recommended for people with scoliosis.
What food to avoid before and after a scoliosis treatment?
Intake of these types of processed foods can limit the nutrition received by the bones and muscles. The following are suggested food to avoid when having scoliosis:
- People with scoliosis should avoid oily fried foods such as fast food meals. Home-cooked and less greasy meals are recommended.
- Food having high amounts of salt should not be included in the diet of scoliosis patients. Salt is causing excessive calcium excretion through the kidney.
- Alcohol, sodas, heavily caffeinated drinks and sugary drinks are not good for people having scoliosis. Bone formation is limited by alcohol in the body. Sugary drinks can prevent proper absorption of calcium in the body. High caffeine in the body can leach calcium from the bone.
- Packaged luncheon meats should be avoided. This type of food contains preservatives and is not good for the body especially for those having scoliosis.
- Artificial sweeteners should also be avoided.
- Citrus foods and Juices should be avoided by scoliosis patients since this type of food can cause the skeletal structure to weaken.
Where to get the best scoliosis treatment in Singapore?
To know more about scoliosis treatment and getting a proper diet guide, it is best to get advice from experts. If you’re suffering from scoliosis and you want to learn more about scoliosis treatment, you can get treatment from PhysioActive Clinics, located in many parts of Singapore for advice on the available treatments for scoliosis.
Why choose PhysioActive for scoliosis treatment?
- Provides evidence-based scoliosis treatment
PhysioActive has a wide range of services being offered to best help you with your condition. They provide a thorough and accurate diagnosis of your condition and provides evidence-based scoliosis treatment. In addition, they also provide discrete and personalized scoliosis treatment settings for your comfort.
- Has a dedicated team of trained therapists and experts
PhysioActive has a dedicated team of therapists and experts with extensive experience that can deliver a safe and appropriate scoliosis treatment. PhysioActive works with a network of top specialists in a variety of health fields to best help you with your scoliosis concerns.
In addition, these experts also make sure that you have proper follow-up assessments with your doctor is needed to keep track of the improvements and also check for possible complications and side-effects.
To set an appointment for scoliosis treatment, get in touch with your local PhysioActive Clinic today – you will be expert hands!
Camden Medical Centre #11-05
+65 6235 2647